Historic Sites of Manitoba: Gunn Block (256-266 Jarvis Avenue, Winnipeg)
Formerly located at the southwest corner of Jarvis Avenue and Derby Street in Winnipeg, this three-storey building was designed by local architect John Woodman and built in 1905 by the firm of John Gunn and Sons for owner John Gunn, at a cost of about $50,000. Measuring 105 feet by 57 feet, seven stores occupied its main floor and the upper two floors contained residential apartments.
The building became abandoned and boarded up by the late 1960s and, in October 1971, it was demolished. The site is now occupied by another building.
City of Winnipeg Building Permit 2389/1909, City of Winnipeg Archives.
“North End Blocks,” Manitoba Free Press, 30 October 1905, page 31.
“Gunn Block,” Manitoba Free Press, 6 December 1906, page 38.
Henderson’s Winnipeg and Brandon Directories, Peel’s Prairie Provinces, University of Alberta Libraries.
“Decrepit slum landmark due for demolition” by Eugen Weiss, Winnipeg Tribune, 18 October 1971, page 3.
Biographical Dictionary of Architects in Canada, 1800-1950 by Robert G. Hill, Toronto.
We thank Nathan Kramer for providing additional information used here.
This page was prepared by Jordan Makichuk.
Page revised: 29 April 2023