A portion of this three-storey brick building on Main Street in Winnipeg, measuring 22 feet by 70 feet, was designed by local architect James Chisholm and built in 1902 by Davidson Brothers for William John Guest. It was expanded in 1909 on a design by architect George William Northwood built by James Gerald Latimer.
Memorable Manitobans: James Chisholm (1841-1920)
Manitoba Business: Davidson Brothers
Memorable Manitobans: William John Guest (1852-1940)
Memorable Manitobans: George William Northwood (1876-1959)
Memorable Manitobans: James Gerald Latimer (1842-1927)
City of Winnipeg Building Permit 422/1902, City of Winnipeg Archives.
City of Winnipeg Building Permit 1941/1909, City of Winnipeg Archives.
Guest Block, 596-598 Main Street, Winnipeg Historical Buildings & Resources Committee, October 2015.
This page was prepared by George Penner, Nathan Kramer, and Gordon Goldsborough.
Page revised: 6 August 2022
Historic Sites of Manitoba
This is a collection of historic sites in Manitoba compiled by the Manitoba Historical Society. The information is offered for historical interest only.
SEARCH the collection
Browse lists of:
Museums/Archives | Buildings | Monuments | Cemeteries | Locations | Other
Inclusion in this collection does not confer special status or protection. Official heritage designation may only come from municipal, provincial, or federal governments. Some sites are on private property and permission to visit must be secured from the owner.
Site information is provided by the Manitoba Historical Society as a free public service only for non-commercial purposes.