Historic Sites of Manitoba: Greenwood Methodist Church / Greenwood United Church / McClure United Church (539 Greenwood Place, Winnipeg)
In 1915, a brick building was constructed at this site by contractor George F. Cole for the congregation of West End Methodist Church. Previously, they had been meeting in a building on Portage Avenue near Stiles Street but had outgrown the space. The new building was designed for a capacity of 400 to 500 people and cost an estimated $7,000. The cornerstone was laid at a ceremony on 14 July 1915 and the first service was held in September. Following the 1925 union of Methodist, Presbyterian, and Congregational faiths in Canada, it became Greenwood United Church. The church was heavily remodelled in 1929, with the addition of permit pews, arched windows, and a bell tower with a new Gothic entrance.
In 1977, its congregation merged with that of Chalmers United Church to become McClure United Church. The church is now located on the main floor of a multi-storey residential apartment complex. Records relating to the church are held at the United Church of Canada Archives.
Photos & Coordinates
“West End Methodist Church outgrows its modest surroundings,” Winnipeg Tribune, 10 July 1915, page 19.
“City briefs,” Winnipeg Tribune, 12 July 1915, page 5.
“Greenwood Methodist church opening,” Manitoba Free Press, 11 September 1915, page 23.
“New Greenwood Church opens,” Winnipeg Tribune, 13 September 1915, page 2.
“Greenwood says farewell to Barker,” Winnipeg Tribune, 30 June 1917, page 27.
“Remodelled Greenwood church,” Manitoba Free Press, 21 September 1929, page 20.
We thank Jordan Makichuk for providing additional information used here.
This page was prepared by Gordon Goldsborough.
Page revised: 20 November 2022