Constructed by local builder C. W. Sharp between 1909 and 1911, this building on Lombard Avenue in Winnipeg was designed by one of Manitoba’s foremost architects, J. D. Atchison, who had trained and practiced in Chicago. Built as the Great West Life Assurance Company’s first permanent headquarters, its construction materials were principally of Canadian origin. The neo-classical façade is of Kootenay marble from British Columbia, a quality material rarely used for prairie office buildings. Originally raised as a four-storey structure with provisions for an additional ten floors, only four storeys were added in 1922-1923. Incorporated in 1891, Great West Life was for many years the only Winnipeg-based life insurance company, and was symbolic of Manitoba’s growing importance in Canadian affairs. As one of the nation’s leading life insurance firms, the company moved to larger new quarters in 1959. A plaque is mounted on the southwest corner of the building.
Great West Life Building (September 2015)
Source: Gordon Goldsborough
Great West Life Building (February 2021)
Source: George Penner
Great West Life Building commemorative plaque (2009)
Source: City of Winnipeg
Site Coordinates (lat/long): N49.89638, W97.13775
denoted by symbol on the map above
Historic Sites of Manitoba: Great West Life Building Annex (185 Lombard Avenue, Winnipeg)
Historic Sites of Manitoba: Provincially Designated Historic Sites
Historic Sites of Manitoba: Municipally Designated Historic Sites
Manitoba Business: Great-West Life Assurance Company
Great West Life Building (177 Lombard Avenue), Manitoba Historic Resources Branch
Information for this page was provided by The City of Winnipeg’s Planning, Property and Development Department, which acknowledges the contribution of the Government of Manitoba through its Heritage Grants Program.
We thank George Penner for providing additional information used here.
This page was prepared by Gordon Goldsborough.
Page revised: 2 June 2022
Historic Sites of Manitoba
This is a collection of historic sites in Manitoba compiled by the Manitoba Historical Society. The information is offered for historical interest only.
Inclusion in this collection does not confer special status or protection. Official heritage designation may only come from municipal, provincial, or federal governments. Some sites are on private property and permission to visit must be secured from the owner.
Site information is provided by the Manitoba Historical Society as a free public service only for non-commercial purposes.
Send corrections and additions to this page
to the MHS Webmaster at email@example.com.
Help us keep history alive!