This three-storey brick and stone building on Graham Avenue in Winnipeg was designed by local architect John Woodman and built in 1928 by the construction firm of Fraser and MacDonald at a cost of about $175,000. The 40 foot by 130 foot structure contained 28 residential apartments in its original configuration. It contains 38 apartments now.
Graham Block under construction (1928)
Source: Winnipeg Tribune, 14 July 1928, page 5
Graham Block (April 2017)
Source: George Penner
Site Coordinates (lat/long): N49.89114, W97.14745
denoted by symbol on the map above
Memorable Manitobans: John Woodman (1861-1944)
Manitoba Business: Fraser and MacDonald
City of Winnipeg Building Permit 2179/1928, City of Winnipeg Archives.
“New construction for 1928 season,” Manitoba Free Press, 21 April 1928, page 19.
“Big apartment block on way,” Winnipeg Tribune, 21 April 1928, page 33.
“Western construction,” Manitoba Free Press, 5 May 1928, page 53.
“Winnipeg’s building activities,” Winnipeg Tribune, 14 July 1928, page 5.
Find a Postal Code, Canada Post.
Preparation of this page was supported, in part, by the Gail Parvin Hammerquist Fund of the City of Winnipeg.
This page was prepared by Nathan Kramer, Jordan Makichuk, Gordon Goldsborough, and George Penner.
Page revised: 10 March 2023
Historic Sites of Manitoba
This is a collection of historic sites in Manitoba compiled by the Manitoba Historical Society. The information is offered for historical interest only.
Inclusion in this collection does not confer special status or protection. Official heritage designation may only come from municipal, provincial, or federal governments. Some sites are on private property and permission to visit must be secured from the owner.
Site information is provided by the Manitoba Historical Society as a free public service only for non-commercial purposes.
Send corrections and additions to this page
to the MHS Webmaster at email@example.com.
Help us keep history alive!