This Presbyterian church was constructed in 1927 by the congregations of several churches in downtown Winnipeg who had decided not to join the 1925 merger of the Presbyterian, Methodist, and Congregationalist faiths into the United Church of Canada. It was designd by the Winnipeg architectural firm of Pratt and Ross with assistance from James McDiarmid and was built by the Sutherland Construction Company.
It is now a provincially-designated historic site.
Manitoba Business: Pratt and Ross
Manitoba Business: Sutherland Construction Company
Historic Sites of Manitoba: Provincially Designated Historic Sites
“Presbyterians will celebrate anniversary,” Winnipeg Tribune, 27 November 1937, page 30.
First Presbyterian Church, 61 Picardy Place, Winnipeg, Manitoba Historic Resources Branch.
This page was prepared by Gordon Goldsborough, George Penner, and Christine Loff.
Page revised: 26 December 2022
Historic Sites of Manitoba
This is a collection of historic sites in Manitoba compiled by the Manitoba Historical Society. The information is offered for historical interest only.
SEARCH the collection
Browse lists of:
Museums/Archives | Buildings | Monuments | Cemeteries | Locations | Other
Inclusion in this collection does not confer special status or protection. Official heritage designation may only come from municipal, provincial, or federal governments. Some sites are on private property and permission to visit must be secured from the owner.
Site information is provided by the Manitoba Historical Society as a free public service only for non-commercial purposes.