Historic Sites of Manitoba: Enderton Building / Mitchell-Copp Building (334 Portage Avenue, Winnipeg)
Formerly located at the southwest corner of Portage Avenue and Hargrave Street in Winnipeg, a three-storey brick and concrete building was designed by local architect William Fingland and built between 1909 and 1910 at a cost of about $100,000 by contractor John Alexander Girvin for real estate mogul Charles Henry Enderton. Measuring 88 feet by 130 feet, the ground floor contained commercial retail space while the upper two floors contained offices.
In January 1918, the building sustained extensive damage in a large fire. Restoration was completed by contractor William Arthur Irish at a cost of about $200,000. Renovations in 1936 to the Mitchell-Copp Jewelry Store contained in the building were overseen by contractor Irish along with further alterations to the building two years later, at a cost of about $5,000.
In the early 1950s, the building was renamed the Mitchell-Copp Building for the flagship jewellery store located in the building, owned by local businessmen Edward Mitchell and David M. Copp. In 1968, the building was purchased by the Bank of Montreal and, in June 1969, plans were unveiled for the bank to build a skyscraper on the site. The original building was demolished in December 1969.
Today, the site is occupied by a seventeen-storey office tower.
“William Fingland,” Winnipeg Tribune, 3 April 1909, page 21.
“Building and real estate,” Manitoba Free Press, 10 April 1909, page 15.
“New business block on Portage Avenue,” Manitoba Free Press, 21 August 1909, page 11.
“The new Enderton Building formal opening,” Manitoba Free Press, 5 March 1910, page 20.
“Will rebuild Enderton Block,” Manitoba Free Press, 1 June 1918, page 5.
“Insured by fall,” Manitoba Free Press, 14 August 1918, page 5.
Henderson’s Winnipeg and Brandon Directories, Peel’s Prairie Provinces, University of Alberta Libraries.
“Fifty thousand in permits in first week of season,” Winnipeg Free Press, 9 January 1932, page 11.
“Building permits get substantial boost this week,” Winnipeg Free Press, 24 October 1936, page 2.
“$50,000 apartment block swells building permits,” Winnipeg Free Press, 16 July 1938, page 9.
“330 Portage Avenue - Bank of Montreal Building / Newport Centre” by Christian Cassidy, Winnipeg Places, 22 July 2013.
This page was prepared by Jordan Makichuk and Gordon Goldsborough.
Page revised: 8 June 2023