Historic Sites of Manitoba: Dorchester Court (162-166 Lilac Street, Winnipeg)
This three-storey brick and stone apartment block on Lilac Street in Winnipeg was designed by local architect Cyril William Upton Chivers and constructed in 1910 by William Wardell Cross at a cost of about $40,000. The 56 foot by 94 foot building contained 12 apartments in its original configuration. In 1928, two extra apartments were formed in its basement by contactor George Ephraim Baldry. Repairs costing $11,000 were required after a fire in 1930. The building contains 16 apartments today.
City of Winnipeg Building Permit 669/1910, City of Winnipeg Archives.
City of Winnipeg Building Permit 4091/1928, City of Winnipeg Archives.
City of Winnipeg Building Permit 830/1930, City of Winnipeg Archives.
Apartment House Architecture in Winnipeg to 1915 by David Spector, December 1980.
Preparation of this page was supported, in part, by the Gail Parvin Hammerquist Fund of the City of Winnipeg.
This page was prepared by Gordon Goldsborough, Nathan Kramer, and George Penner.
Page revised: 25 March 2022