Historic Sites of Manitoba: Dauphin Telephone Exchange Building (305 Main Street North, Dauphin)
A one-storey brick building on a stone basement, measuring 26 feet by 46 feet, situated on Main Street North in Dauphin, was designed by Winnipeg architect William Fingland. It was built between August 1916 and February 1917 at a cost of about $35,000. Its purpose was to house local circuitry for the Manitoba Government Telephones (later Manitoba Telephone System).
The building was used by the company until 1953 when a new structure was constructed on Third Avenue Northeast. A large addition on the front of the building makes it almost unrecognizable today.
“Phone exchange,” Manitoba Free Press, 17 May 1916, page 5.
Tenth Annual Report of the Manitoba Government Telephones, 1917. [Manitoba Legislative Library]
“Sale of valuable property in the Town of Dauphin,” Winnipeg Free Press, 26 September 1953, page 42.
Dauphin Valley Spans the Years by Dauphin Historical Society, 1970, pages 168-169.
We thank Gordon Goldsborough for providing additional information used here.
This page was prepared by Jordan Makichuk.
Page revised: 26 April 2023