This four-storey brick block on Fort Street in Winnipeg was designed and built in 1905 by owner George Andrews Mitchell at a cost of $35,000. The 120 by 30 foot building had space on its main level for offices of the plumbing firm of Thomas Parr Cotter and 21 residential apartments on its upper three levels.
Memorable Manitobans: George Andrews Mitchell (1857-1909)
Memorable Manitobans: Thomas Parr Cotter (1870-1920)
Historic Sites of Manitoba: Cotter House (98 Kingsway, Winnipeg)
City of Winnipeg Building Permit 1702/1905, City of Winnipeg Archives.
Apartment House Architecture in Winnipeg to 1915 by David Spector, December 1980.
Preparation of this page was supported, in part, by the Gail Parvin Hammerquist Fund of the City of Winnipeg.
This page was prepared by Gordon Goldsborough, Nathan Kramer, and George Penner.
Page revised: 19 October 2021
Historic Sites of Manitoba
This is a collection of historic sites in Manitoba compiled by the Manitoba Historical Society. The information is offered for historical interest only.
SEARCH the collection
Browse lists of:
Museums/Archives | Buildings | Monuments | Cemeteries | Locations | Other
Inclusion in this collection does not confer special status or protection. Official heritage designation may only come from municipal, provincial, or federal governments. Some sites are on private property and permission to visit must be secured from the owner.
Site information is provided by the Manitoba Historical Society as a free public service only for non-commercial purposes.