This five-storey brick building on Hargrave Street in Winnipeg was designed by local architects John Woodman and Raymond M. Carey, and built in 1912 by John Gunn and Sons for the paper-distributing firm of Clark Brothers and Company. In the 1950s, the building was sold and it has had numerous businesses occupying space until 2005 when it was converted into residential condominiums. In December 2016, it became a municipally-designated historic building.
Memorable Manitobans: John Woodman (1861-1944)
Memorable Manitobans: Raymond Marwood-Elton Carey (1883-1975)
Memorable Manitobans: John Gunn (1850-1936)
Memorable Manitobans: Douglas Alexander Clark (1872-1954)
Historic Sites of Manitoba: Municipally Designated Historic Sites
Clark Brothers Warehouse, 448 Hargrave Street, City of Winnipeg Historical Buildings and Resources Committee, October 2015.
This page was prepared by Gordon Goldsborough and Nathan Kramer.
Page revised: 30 April 2020
Historic Sites of Manitoba
This is a collection of historic sites in Manitoba compiled by the Manitoba Historical Society. The information is offered for historical interest only.
SEARCH the collection
Browse lists of:
Museums/Archives | Buildings | Monuments | Cemeteries | Locations | Other
Inclusion in this collection does not confer special status or protection. Official heritage designation may only come from municipal, provincial, or federal governments. Some sites are on private property and permission to visit must be secured from the owner.
Site information is provided by the Manitoba Historical Society as a free public service only for non-commercial purposes.