This two-storey building on Notre Dame Avenue in Winnipeg, measuring 80 feet by 116 feet, was designed by its original owners, William John Christie and Frank Hedley Phippen, and constructed in 1906 by Kelly Brothers at a cost of about $30,000.
Memorable Manitobans: William John Christie (1858-1942)
Memorable Manitobans: Frank Hedley Phippen (1863-1932)
Manitoba Business: Kelly Brothers / Manitoba Construction Company / Kelly Brothers and Mitchell / Thomas Kelly and Sons
City of Winnipeg Building Permit 1873/1906, City of Winnipeg Archives.
Christie Block, 245 Notre Dame Avenue by Murray Peterson, City of Winnipeg Historical Buildings and Resources Committee, March 2015.
This page was prepared by Nathan Kramer, Gordon Goldsborough, and George Penner.
Page revised: 2 July 2022
Historic Sites of Manitoba
This is a collection of historic sites in Manitoba compiled by the Manitoba Historical Society. The information is offered for historical interest only.
SEARCH the collection
Browse lists of:
Museums/Archives | Buildings | Monuments | Cemeteries | Locations | Other
Inclusion in this collection does not confer special status or protection. Official heritage designation may only come from municipal, provincial, or federal governments. Some sites are on private property and permission to visit must be secured from the owner.
Site information is provided by the Manitoba Historical Society as a free public service only for non-commercial purposes.