Historic Sites of Manitoba: Chesterfield School No. 408 (Municipality of Two Borders)

The Chesterfield School District was established in June 1885 and a one-room schoolhouse operated at NW10-3-26W in what is now the Municipality of Two Borders. In 1964, the district was dissolved and its catchment area became part of the Melita Consolidated School District and later the Antler River School Division. Records for the school are held at the Antler River Museum in Melita.

Among the teachers of Chesterfield School were Sara Bride (1887-1888), William McIntosh (1889), E. W. Wood (1890), Hector McArthur (1891), Bill McArthur (1892-1895), J. H. Livingstone (1896), Effie Thompson (1897), Bertha McDonald (1898-1899), E. McDonald (1900-1903), G. W. Grant (1904), Grace M. Harney (1905), Harvey Brandon (1906), Lillian E. Scribner (1906), Mabel E. Dobbyn (1907), Jean Rothnie (1907-1908), Mary A. Rodgers (1908-1909), Laura Laughlin (1910-1911), M. Sanderson (1912), Charles M. Hoan (1912-1914), A. Myrtle Jennings Keddy (1914-1915), Grace Dandy (1916), O. F. Denstead (1917-1918), Pearl Ramsay (1919), Helena Mann Campbell (1920-1921), L. Long (1922), Pearl E. McLean (1923), Emma Bambridge Breakey (1924-1930), J. E. Anderson (1930), Helen Stevenson Lyle (1931), Gertie Dobbyn Whetter (1932), Gertie Simpson Reid (1933), Miss Barnes (1934), M. Anderson Stacey (1935-1936), Constance Clarke Dann (1937), Hazel Weber Lamport (1938-1939), Miss B. A. Robinson (1940-1941), D. Lyle Dewart (1942), Margaret McIvor (1943), Ellen Palmer (1944), G. M. English (1945), Flora Moore Russell (1946), Mill Lebeau Combs (1947-1948), Audry Babcock (1949), Jean Cocquyt Serruys (1950), Joan Dixon (1951), Frances Coates McCannell (1952), Dorothy Ward (1953), Mrs. Slater Maxwell (1954), and Ada Thompson Josephson (1955-1958).

Chesterfield School

Chesterfield School (no date) by George Hunter
Source: Archives of Manitoba, School Inspectors Photographs,
GR8461, A0233, C131-1, page 44.

Chesterfield School commemorative monument

Chesterfield School commemorative monument (July 2016)
Source: Gordon Goldsborough

Site Coordinates (lat/long): N49.20740, W100.90644
denoted by symbol on the map above


Waskada West topographic map, 62F/02 West, Edition 1, Series A743 [Archives of Manitoba].

One Hundred Years in the History of the Rural Schools of Manitoba: Their Formation, Reorganization and Dissolution (1871-1971) by Mary B. Perfect, MEd thesis, University of Manitoba, April 1978.

Our First Century, Town of Melita and Municipality of Arthur: 1884-1984 by Melita-Arthur History Committee, 1983, pages 231-234.

This page was prepared by Gordon Goldsborough.

Page revised: 12 September 2022

Historic Sites of Manitoba

This is a collection of historic sites in Manitoba compiled by the Manitoba Historical Society. The information is offered for historical interest only.

Browse lists of:
Museums/Archives | Buildings | Monuments | Cemeteries | Locations | Other

Inclusion in this collection does not confer special status or protection. Official heritage designation may only come from municipal, provincial, or federal governments. Some sites are on private property and permission to visit must be secured from the owner.

Site information is provided by the Manitoba Historical Society as a free public service only for non-commercial purposes.

Send corrections and additions to this page
to the MHS Webmaster at webmaster@mhs.mb.ca.

Search Tips | Suggest an Historic Site | FAQ

Help us keep history alive!