The first occupant of this two-storey wood frame house built in 1907 on Dundurn Place in Winnipeg was James Brunless Brown (1876-1947), a Scot, who first stayed with an uncle in Newfoundland before coming to Manitoba. Brown owned a printing and bookbinding shop on Garry Street. The printing plant was on Home Street near Notre Dame. The family were members of Broadway Baptist Church and the children attended Kelvin Technical High School. The appearance of the house, listed on the Wolseley Walking Tour, has been changed by the removal of the verandah and other renovations.
Historic Sites of Manitoba: Brown Block (323-327 Garry Street, Winnipeg)
Historic Sites of Manitoba: Brown Block (902 Home Street, Winnipeg)
Historic Sites of Manitoba: Brown House (12 Kingsway, Winnipeg)
Historic Sites of Manitoba: Brown House (153 Magnus Avenue, Winnipeg)
Historical Tours in Manitoba: A Historical Walking Tour of Wolseley (Winnipeg)
Winnipeg Property Assessment and Taxation.
We thank Nathan Kramer for providing additional information used here.
This page was prepared by George Penner and S. Goldsborough.
Page revised: 9 August 2022
Historic Sites of Manitoba
This is a collection of historic sites in Manitoba compiled by the Manitoba Historical Society. The information is offered for historical interest only.
SEARCH the collection
Browse lists of:
Museums/Archives | Buildings | Monuments | Cemeteries | Locations | Other
Inclusion in this collection does not confer special status or protection. Official heritage designation may only come from municipal, provincial, or federal governments. Some sites are on private property and permission to visit must be secured from the owner.
Site information is provided by the Manitoba Historical Society as a free public service only for non-commercial purposes.