Historic Sites of Manitoba: Manitoba Government Telephones Building / Brandon General Museum and Archives (19 Ninth Street, Brandon)
This three-storey brick and stone building on Ninth Street in Brandon was designed by Winnipeg architect William Fingland as a two-storey structure and built between 1916 and 1917 by the construction firm of Hazelton & Walin for Manitoba Government Telephones (later Manitoba Telephone System) at a cost of about $60,000.
In 1929, an addition and alterations were designed by Winnipeg architect Alexander D. Melville and the building was occupied by the firm until 1968 when it built a new building at the southeast corner of Victoria Avenue and Eighteenth Street.
In February 2009, the Brandon General Museum and Archives were incorporated which now occupies the former building. Among the museum’s collections are taxidermic specimens collected by Benjamin Jones Hales.
“Phone exchange,” Manitoba Free Press, 17 May 1916, page 5.
“Notice to contractors,” Manitoba Free Press, 11 July 1916, page 2.
“Tenders,” Manitoba Free Press, 7 August 1929, page 15.
“Archives as a cornerstone of community growth: Developing community archives in Brandon, Manitoba,” Ian Richards, MA thesis, Department of History, University of Manitoba, 2009.
Biographical Dictionary of Architects in Canada, 1800-1950 by Robert G. Hill, Toronto.
We thank Jordan Makichuk for providing additional information used here.
This page was prepared by Gordon Goldsborough.
Page revised: 12 February 2023