Historic Sites of Manitoba: Brandon Citizens’ Science Building / Knowles-Douglas Students Union Centre (270 Eighteenth Street, Brandon)
Constructed between 1922 and 1923 on a design by Brandon architect David Marshall, the three-storey Brandon Citizens’ Science Building had been intended as part of a larger science complex. With funds provided by private subscriptions in Brandon and elsewhere in western Canada, the building was made of Manitoba limestone and locally produced brick by Winnipeg contractor Ebenezer Claydon. A provincially-designated historic site, its present name commemorates two noteworthy graduates: Tommy Douglas and Stanley Knowles.
Memorable Manitobans: David Marshall (1879-?)
Manitoba Business: Claydon Brothers Construction Company / Claydon Construction Limited
Historic Sites of Manitoba: Brandon College and Clark Hall Buildings (270 Eighteenth Street, Brandon)
Historic Sites of Manitoba: Provincially Designated Historic Sites
Memorable Manitobans: Thomas Clement “Tommy” Douglas (1904-1986)
Memorable Manitobans: Stanley Howard Knowles (1908-1997)
Brandon Citizen’s Science Building (Knowles-Douglas Student Union Centre) 270 - 18th Street, Brandon, Manitoba Historic Resources Branch.
This page was prepared by Gordon Goldsborough and George Penner.
Page revised: 15 July 2023
Historic Sites of Manitoba
This is a collection of historic sites in Manitoba compiled by the Manitoba Historical Society. The information is offered for historical interest only.
SEARCH the collection
Browse lists of:
Museums/Archives | Buildings | Monuments | Cemeteries | Locations | Other
Inclusion in this collection does not confer special status or protection. Official heritage designation may only come from municipal, provincial, or federal governments. Some sites are on private property and permission to visit must be secured from the owner.
Site information is provided by the Manitoba Historical Society as a free public service only for non-commercial purposes.