Historic Sites of Manitoba: Blewett Block (623 Selkirk Avenue, Winnipeg)
This three-storey brick building on Selkirk Avenue in Winnipeg was designed and built in 1911 by merchant William Blewett (1882-?) at a cost of $6,000. The 32 foot by 40 foot building contained Blewett’s butcher store on its main floor and four residential apartments on its upper floors.
A branch of the Canadian Bank of Commerce occuped the main floor retail space from 1919 to December 1920 when a new bank building was completed further down Selkirk Avenue.
City of Winnipeg Building Permit 756/1911, City of Winnipeg Archives.
1911 Canada census, Automated Genealogy.
“Driver wanted apply Blewett butcher,” Manitoba Free Press, 14 November 1911, page 18.
“Nice modern suite to rent,” Manitoba Free Press, 21 June 1912, page 22.
“Bank buys site on Selkirk Ave.,” Manitoba Free Press, 4 March 1919, page 9.
“Celebrating founding of Ukrainian Club,” Manitoba Free Press, 7 May 1926, page 11.
“Lawrie wagons keep rolling,” Winnipeg Free Press, 16 November 1974, page 100.
Preparation of this page was supported, in part, by the Gail Parvin Hammerquist Fund of the City of Winnipeg.
Page revised: 20 February 2023