Historic Sites of Manitoba: Bank of Montreal Elmwood Branch / McLean Printers (194 Henderson Highway, Winnipeg)
Located at the northwest corner of Kelvin Street [now Henderson Highway] and Hart Avenue in the Elmwood neighbourhood of Winnipeg, this one-storey brick building was completed in 1929. It was commissioned by the partnership of printers J. McLean and N. S. McLean (operating as McLean Printers), with construction overseen by contractor Charles E. Robinson. The structure measured 100 feet long with a frontage of 27 feet along Henderson, and was built of Fort William deep-cut bricks along with masonry trim. Its interior space was divided, with the front 45 feet occupied by the Elmwood Branch of the Bank of Montreal and the rear 55 feet, accessed via separate (and since bricked-up) entrance along Hart, as home to the office quarters and printing house of McLean Printers.
It was from this building that, in September 1929, The Elmwood Advertiser was relaunched as The Elmwood Herald. The Bank of Montreal vacated in the latter half of 1930s and the space was converted to a medical office operated by physician C. W. Duncan. The newspaper carried on business at this location into the 1960s, at that time (between 1964 and 1966) comprised of a partnership of Norman John McLean and John Smith McLean.
“The Herald greets you!” Elmwood Herald, 1 September 1929, page 1.
“The New home of McLean Printers,” Elmwood Herald, 5 September 1929, page 1.
“Addition to Elmwood business blocks,” Manitoba Free Press, 7 September 1929, page 35.
“Addition to Elmwood,” Winnipeg Tribune, 14 September 1929, page 6.
“Resources [Bank of Montreal ad],” Winnipeg Free Press, 23 February 1932, page 5.
Business Names Registration files (CCA 0062), 4122 - McLean Printers, GR8723, Archives of Manitoba.
Henderson’s Winnipeg and Brandon Directories, Peel’s Prairie Provinces, University of Alberta Libraries.
We thank George Penner for providing additional information used here.
This page was prepared by Nathan Kramer.
Page revised: 5 June 2021