Historic Sites of Manitoba: Canadian Bank of Commerce Building (1521 Logan Avenue, Winnipeg)
This one-story wood building at the northeast corner of Logan Avenue and Blake Street in Winnipeg was designed by the Toronto architectural firm of Darling Pearson and Over, and built by local contractor John Dolmer in 1906 as standardized bank building design used by the Canadian Bank of Commerce. Measuring 28 foot by 48 foot the building was built at a cost of about $5,000, and prefabricated by the BC Mills Timber and Trading Company in Vancouver, who shipped the materials to the site.
In 1961, it became the Canadian Imperial Bank of Commerce following the bank's merger with the Imperial Bank of Canada. The bank occupied the building until 1964 and, in 1965, it was converted into a convenience store. At the time of a 2022 site visit, the building was occupied by a grocery store.
City of Winnipeg Building Permit 1273/1906, City of Winnipeg Archives.
City of Winnipeg Building Permit 3855/1965, City of Winnipeg Archives.
Monuments to Finance, Volume II: Early Bank Architecture in Winnipeg by David Spector, Report of the City of Winnipeg Historical Buildings Committee, August 1982, pages 78-79.
Biographical Dictionary of Architects in Canada, 1800-1950 by Robert G. Hill, Toronto.
This page was prepared by Jordan Makichuk and Gordon Goldsborough.
Page revised: 15 September 2022