Historic Sites of Manitoba: Canadian Bank of Commerce Building (325 Nairn Avenue, Winnipeg)
Built by local contractor John Dolmer on the north side of Lemoine Avenue (now Nairn Avenue) in Winnipeg, this branch of the Canadian Bank of Commerce was constructed in 1906. Initially known as the bank’s Louise Branch, it later became the Elmwood Branch. The two storey, red brick, Roman white sandstone structure featuring four doric columns was based on designs of architectural firm Darling, Pearson and Over. Measuring 32 feet wide and 36 feet long, it was completed at a cost of $15,000. After the branch closed, the site has since hosted several other businesses, including a bookstore.
“The Canadian Bank of Commerce,” Winnipeg Tribune, 2 January 1906, page 5.
“The Canadian Bank of Commerce,” Winnipeg Tribune, 2 January 1906, page 9.
“Tenders,” Winnipeg Tribune, 6 March 1906, page 10.
“Bank of Commerce,” Winnipeg Tribune, 29 September 1906, page 5.
“Magnificent new offices of Canadian Bank of Commerce, Elmwood,” Winnipeg Tribune, 29 September 1906, page 27.
“Building review,” Winnipeg Tribune, 15 December 1906, page 8.
Monuments to Finance, Vol. II: Early Bank Architecture in Winnipeg by David Spector, City of Winnipeg Historical Buildings Committee, August 1982.
This page was prepared by Nathan Kramer.
Page revised: 15 September 2022