This three-storey brick block at the southeast corner of Arlington Street and Preston Avenue in Winnipeg was built in 1929 by the firm of J. McDiarmid and Company at a cost of about $60,000. The 100 feet by 106 feet structure contained 16 apartments in its original configuration, eight accessible from an entrance on Arlington and eight from an entrance on Preston.
Memorable Manitobans: James McDiarmid (1855-1934)
City of Winnipeg Building Permit 1916/1929, City of Winnipeg Archives.
Find a Postal Code, Canada Post.
Preparation of this page was supported, in part, by the Gail Parvin Hammerquist Fund of the City of Winnipeg.
This page was prepared by Nathan Kramer, George Penner, and Gordon Goldsborough.
Page revised: 5 March 2022
Historic Sites of Manitoba
This is a collection of historic sites in Manitoba compiled by the Manitoba Historical Society. The information is offered for historical interest only.
SEARCH the collection
Browse lists of:
Museums/Archives | Buildings | Monuments | Cemeteries | Locations | Other
Inclusion in this collection does not confer special status or protection. Official heritage designation may only come from municipal, provincial, or federal governments. Some sites are on private property and permission to visit must be secured from the owner.
Site information is provided by the Manitoba Historical Society as a free public service only for non-commercial purposes.