Historic Sites of Manitoba: Armstrong School No. 1833 (RM of Alonsa)

The Armstrong School District was established formally in April 1916 and a one-room schoolhouse operated at SW21-20-13W in the Rural Municipality of Alonsa. In 1936, it became part of the McCreary Municipal School District and later the Turtle River School Division. The school closed in 1967 but the building remained at the site until at least 2003 but it was gone at the time of a 2015 site visit. A commemorative monument was erected nearby in August 2000.

Among the teachers of Armstrong School were Anthony Besarabowicz (1916), Mr. Mikatiuk, John Hawryluik (1917-1918), Mr. Mykituik (1918-1919), John Swyryd (1919-1921), Mr. Stark (1921-1922), Mr. McNeil (1922-1923), Mr. Laycock (1924-1925), Frank C. Harrison (1926-1927), Joseph T. Smith (1927-1928), Gregory W. Sinclair (1928-1930), Jacob P. Rempel (1930-1932), Emma J. Haggerty (1932-1934), M. Swirski (1934-1935), Audrey Joan Grove, John G. Siemens, John L. Semeniuk (1935-1938), Wilfred C. Hodkinson (1938-1939), Sigurdur Sigurdson (1939-1940), John C. Gottfried (1940-1941), Winnifred Dunbar (1941-1942), Mary Uranick (1942-1943), Eva Lesawich (1943-1944), Vyda Dring (1944-1945), Ethel Buchanan, J. Louise Noiseaux (1945-1946), Paul Rudiak (1946-1948), Harold Fehr (1948-1949), Irene Swidinsky (1949-1950), Walter Kopytko (1950-1951), Annie Twerdochlib (1951-1952), Anthony Luhawich, Mrs. A. Schulz, Morris Hykaway (1952-1953), Steve Onyschak (1953-1954), Viola Marciski (1954-1955, 1959-1960), Merle Watt (1955-1957), Mike Byrka (1957-1958), Brian Bray (1961-1962), Mr. T. Wiens (1963-1964), and Elsie Bradley (1964-1967).

Armstrong School

Armstrong School (no date) by C. K. Rogers
Source: Archives of Manitoba, School Inspectors Photographs,
GR8461, A0233, C131-3, page 54.

Armstrong School commemorative monument

Armstrong School commemorative monument (June 2015)
Source: Gordon Goldsborough

Site of the former Armstrong School

Site of the former Armstrong School (June 2015)
Source: Gordon Goldsborough

Site Coordinates (lat/long): N50.72777, W99.22893
denoted by symbol on the map above


McCreary: Milestones and Memories by McCreary History Book Committee, 1987, page 156.

One Hundred Years in the History of the Rural Schools of Manitoba: Their Formation, Reorganization and Dissolution (1871-1971) by Mary B. Perfect, MEd thesis, University of Manitoba, April 1978.

Tracks of Time: Glenella and Districts by Glenella History Committee, 1990, pages 134-136. [Manitoba Legislative Library, F5648.G65 Tra]

This page was prepared by Gordon Goldsborough.

Page revised: 8 August 2023

Historic Sites of Manitoba

This is a collection of historic sites in Manitoba compiled by the Manitoba Historical Society. The information is offered for historical interest only.

Browse lists of:
Museums/Archives | Buildings | Monuments | Cemeteries | Locations | Other

Inclusion in this collection does not confer special status or protection. Official heritage designation may only come from municipal, provincial, or federal governments. Some sites are on private property and permission to visit must be secured from the owner.

Site information is provided by the Manitoba Historical Society as a free public service only for non-commercial purposes.

Send corrections and additions to this page
to the MHS Webmaster at webmaster@mhs.mb.ca.

Search Tips | Suggest an Historic Site | FAQ

Help us keep history alive!