Formerly located at the northeast corner of Sixth Street and Rosser Avenue in Brandon, a three-storey brick building was designed by local architect William Richard Marshall and bulit in 1904 for hoteliers John James Clegg (1863-1925) and D. Broadfoot. It had 48 bedrooms with a dining room with capacity for 48 people.
The building was operated as a hotel until approximately 1919. Four years later, it was purchased by businessman Gustave Bellegro Yaeger who renamed it the Yaeger Block. He opened his furrier business in the building and converted the hotel rooms on upper floors into 13 residential apartments. The building later housed a variety of businesses including the chiropractors Elliott & Elliott.
Condemned in the early 1970s because it did not meet provincial fire codes, the building was demolished in August 1975 by the Burton Construction Company. The site is presently a surface parking lot.
Arlington Hotel (no date)
Source: Martin Berman Postcard Collection, Winnipeg Public Library
Yaeger Block (April 1975)
Source: Yaeger Block, S. J. McKee Archives, Brandon UniversitySite Coordinates (lat/long): N49.84858, W99.94577
denoted by symbol on the map above
See also:
Memorable Manitobans: William Richard Marshall (1854-1909)
Memorable Manitobans: Gustave Bellegro “Gus” Yaeger (1878-1942)
Called to the Bar: An Historical Geography of Beverage Rooms in Brandon, 1881-1966 by Doug Ramsey and John Cater Everitt
Manitoba History, Number 56, October 2007Historic Sites of Manitoba: Arlington Hotel (254 Stephen Street, Morden)
“The Arlington Hotel Brandon,” Brandon Sun, 18 August 1904, page 1.
“Local notes,” Brandon Sun, 22 September 1904, page 11.
“The Arlington changes hands,” Brandon Sun, 6 July 1905, page 10.
“Arlington Hotel,” Brandon Sun, 7 November 1912, page 70.
Death registration [John James Clegg], Manitoba Vital Statistics.
Henderson’s Winnipeg and Brandon Directories, Henderson Directories Limited, Peel’s Prairie Provinces, University of Alberta Libraries.
“New owner and face for Yeager Block,” Brandon Sun, 9 September 1958, page 3.
“Block being demolished,” Brandon Sun, 13 August 1975, page 1.
“Postcard from the past,” Brandon Sun, 2 October 2008, page 47.
Demolished Buildings, Heritage Brandon.
This page was prepared by Glen Toews, Jordan Makichuk, and Gordon Goldsborough.
Page revised: 16 March 2026
Historic Sites of Manitoba
This is a collection of historic sites in Manitoba compiled by the Manitoba Historical Society. The information is offered for historical interest only.
Browse lists of:
Museums/Archives | Buildings | Monuments | Cemeteries | Locations | OtherInclusion in this collection does not confer special status or protection. Official heritage designation may only come from municipal, provincial, or federal governments. Some sites are on private property and permission to visit must be secured from the owner.
Site information is provided by the Manitoba Historical Society as a free public service only for non-commercial purposes.
Send corrections and additions to this page
to the MHS Webmaster at webmaster@mhs.mb.ca.Help us keep history alive!