The Argyle General Store was built in 1921 by Arthur Lobb of Warren. Over the years the store has been operated successively by Arthur Lobb (1921-1938), Mr. Cameron (1938-?), Patterson family (?-c1941), Fred Sumner (c1941-1944), Lowry family (1944-1958), Sam and Lil Segal (1958-1994), and Lil Segal (1994-present). At a visit in July 2019, the store retains its original tin ceiling which had been painted by the Segals when they bought it.
Historic Sites of Manitoba: Federal Grain Elevator (Argyle, RM of Rockwood)
Historic Sites of Manitoba: Brant Consolidated School No. 1703 (Argyle, RM of Rockwood)
Historic Sites of Manitoba: Douglas General Store (Argyle, RM of Rockwood)
Hands Across the Meridian: A History of Brant - Argyle, Manitoba by Brant Argyle History Book Committee, 2000.
We thank George Penner for providing additional information used here.
This page was prepared by Shayne Campbell, Rose Kuzina, and Gordon Goldsborough.
Page revised: 9 September 2019
Historic Sites of Manitoba
This is a collection of historic sites in Manitoba compiled by the Manitoba Historical Society. The information is offered for historical interest only.
SEARCH the collection
Browse lists of:
Museums/Archives | Buildings | Monuments | Cemeteries | Locations | Other
Inclusion in this collection does not confer special status or protection. Official heritage designation may only come from municipal, provincial, or federal governments. Some sites are on private property and permission to visit must be secured from the owner.
Site information is provided by the Manitoba Historical Society as a free public service only for non-commercial purposes.