This three-storey brick building on Osborne Street in Winnipeg was designed by local architects Samuel Hooper and Charles Henry Walker, and built in 1906 by contractor Thomas Sharpe for owner Rodmond Palen Roblin. The street level was occupied by several businesses while the upper two floors had residential apartments. Named the Adelaide Block for Roblin’s wife, in 1909 an addition on the rear of the 99- by 50-foot building was designed by William Wallace Blair.
Memorable Manitobans: Samuel Hooper (1851-1911)
Memorable Manitobans: Charles Henry Walker (1855-1927)
Memorable Manitobans: Thomas Sharpe (1866-1929)
Memorable Manitobans: Rodmond Palen Roblin (1853-1937)
Memorable Manitobans: William Wallace Blair (1852-1916)
City of Winnipeg Building Permit 1518/1906, City of Winnipeg Archives.
City of Winnipeg Building Permit 394/1909, City of Winnipeg Archives.
Preparation of this page was supported, in part, by the Gail Parvin Hammerquist Fund of the City of Winnipeg.
This page was prepared by George Penner, Gordon Goldsborough, and Nathan Kramer.
Page revised: 4 December 2021
Historic Sites of Manitoba
This is a collection of historic sites in Manitoba compiled by the Manitoba Historical Society. The information is offered for historical interest only.
SEARCH the collection
Browse lists of:
Museums/Archives | Buildings | Monuments | Cemeteries | Locations | Other
Inclusion in this collection does not confer special status or protection. Official heritage designation may only come from municipal, provincial, or federal governments. Some sites are on private property and permission to visit must be secured from the owner.
Site information is provided by the Manitoba Historical Society as a free public service only for non-commercial purposes.