Historic Sites of Manitoba: Addington School No. 443 (Municipality of Brenda-Waskada)

The Addington School District was formally established in March 1886 and, later that year, a one-room frame building was erected on the northeast quarter of 36-1-25 west of the Principal Meridian, in what is now the Municipality of Brenda-Waskada. It was replaced in 1919 by a brick structure with hardwood floors, full basement, indoor toilets, and a bell tower. This building was destroyed by fire in November 1944 but, within a week, a 16 by 24 foot frame school was put by men of the district, serving until 1949 when a new frame and stucco building replaced it. With declining enrollment in the late 1950s, the school closed in 1959 and its remaining students went to Lennox School No. 317 at Goodlands or Waskada School No. 492. The building was sold and moved away. A monument on the former school site commemorates it.

The teachers of Addington School included Bessie Thomas, Cora Johnson, Jennie Hunter, Mona Morrow, Mamie Murray, Jessie McIntyre, Ada Fletcher, Lily Kempthorne, M. A. E. Langford, John Sawford Peach, Vera McKenzie, Miss McKee, Miss McMillan, Miss Burton, Janet Davidson, Kenneth Russell James (1935), Ruth Hogarth, Ruth Howden, Doreen Blaker, Louise McDermot, Louise McDermot, Dorothy McMillan, Alice Buick, Jean Burnett, Katherine Jessiman, Bernice Robinson, June Hill, Geraldine Clow, Ethel Tweed, Donna Hill, Kathleen Nicol, Margaret Burnett, Bernice Robinson, Ruth Armson, Noreen Ford, Ann George, Arnold Suski, and Mrs. Williena Stewart.

The second Addington School, used from 1919 to 1944

The second Addington School, used from 1919 to 1944 (no date) by George Hunter
Source: Archives of Manitoba, School Inspectors Photographs,
GR8461, A0233, C131-1, page 58.

Addington School commemorative monument

Addington School commemorative monument (September 2012)
Source: Gordon Goldsborough

Addington School commemorative monument

Addington School commemorative monument (July 2023)
Source: Rose Kuzina

Site Coordinates (lat/long): N49.08785, W100.69002
denoted by symbol on the map above


One Hundred Years in the History of the Rural Schools of Manitoba: Their Formation, Reorganization and Dissolution (1871-1971) by Mary B. Perfect, MEd thesis, University of Manitoba, April 1978.

Bridging Brenda: The History of Brenda Municipality and Area, Volume 1 by Brenda History Committee, 1990, pages 94-96.

We thank Rose Kuzina for providing additional information used here.

This page was prepared by Gordon Goldsborough.

Page revised: 9 September 2023

Historic Sites of Manitoba

This is a collection of historic sites in Manitoba compiled by the Manitoba Historical Society. The information is offered for historical interest only.

Browse lists of:
Museums/Archives | Buildings | Monuments | Cemeteries | Locations | Other

Inclusion in this collection does not confer special status or protection. Official heritage designation may only come from municipal, provincial, or federal governments. Some sites are on private property and permission to visit must be secured from the owner.

Site information is provided by the Manitoba Historical Society as a free public service only for non-commercial purposes.

Send corrections and additions to this page
to the MHS Webmaster at webmaster@mhs.mb.ca.

Search Tips | Suggest an Historic Site | FAQ

Help us keep history alive!