Historic Sites of Manitoba: Winnipeg Electric Company Academy Substation (216 Academy Road, Winnipeg)

This small brick building at the southwest corner of Academy Road and Harrow Street in Winnipeg was built in 1947 as a local electrical substation for the Winnipeg Electric Company. Designed to look like a bungalow, it was used until 1970 then was subsequently converted into a residence.

Winnipeg Electric Company Academy Substation

Site Coordinates (lat/long): N49.87381, W97.16922
denoted by symbol on the map above

See also:

Manitoba Business: Winnipeg Electric Railway Company / Winnipeg Electric Company


Winnipeg Tax Assessment.

265 Osborne Street - Winnipeg Electric Co. Substation by Christian Cassidy, Winnipeg Places, 8 April 2016.

This page was prepared by Jordan Makichuk.

Page revised: 11 August 2022

Historic Sites of Manitoba

This is a collection of historic sites in Manitoba compiled by the Manitoba Historical Society. The information is offered for historical interest only.

Browse lists of:
Museums/Archives | Buildings | Monuments | Cemeteries | Locations | Other

Inclusion in this collection does not confer special status or protection. Official heritage designation may only come from municipal, provincial, or federal governments. Some sites are on private property and permission to visit must be secured from the owner.

Site information is provided by the Manitoba Historical Society as a free public service only for non-commercial purposes.

Send corrections and additions to this page
to the MHS Webmaster at webmaster@mhs.mb.ca.

Search Tips | Suggest an Historic Site | FAQ

Help us keep history alive!