Manitoba Business: Ontario, Manitoba and Western Land Company Limited
The Ontario, Manitoba and Western Land Company Limited was incorporated via Letters Patent under the Manitoba Joint Stock Companies Act on 10 March 1903, initially holding a capital stock value of $150,000. Its founding partners [as signed on 6 February] were Toronto-based Elihu James Davis (Ontario Commissioner of Crown Lands), Charles C. Van Norman (President, The Charles Van Norman Company Limited), Major John Alexander McGillivray (Supreme Secretary, Independent Order of Forresters), along with James Whitney Bettes (Sherriff) of Bracebridge, Ontario and Horace Edgar Crawford of Winnipeg.
The venture was lead by President Colin Howell Campbell and Davis as Vice-President, with two Board of Directors announced in March 1903. The Winnipeg-based members were Donald Ross Dingwall, James Young Griffin, Theodore Arthur Burrows, and Bettes. The Ontario-based Directors included McGillivray, Van Norman, and Frank Denton (Toronto).
Based in Winnipeg, the company engaged in the real estate market and general finance. The firm was still operating into the First World War, with its status uncertain after 1916.
“Ontario, Manitoba & Western Land Company, Ltd.” Manitoba Free Press, 21 March 1903, page 11.
“Ontario, Manitoba & Western Land Company, Ltd.” Manitoba Free Press, 28 March 1903, page 11.
“The subway is nearly completed,” Manitoba Free Press, 24 September 1904, page 8.
“The Campbell-Pritchard episode,” Manitoba Free Press, 4 February 1907, page 5.
“Tenders,” Manitoba Free Press, 8 October 1907, page 2.
“Wood cuters wanted,” Manitoba Free Press, 20 December 1916, page 18.
Companies Office corporation documents (CCA 0059), 7O - Ontario, Manitoba & Western Land Company Limited, GR6427, Archives of Manitoba.
This page was prepared by Nathan Kramer.
Page revised: 14 April 2022