Manitoba Historical Society
     Keeping history alive for over 140 years

 

Pay & Donate in the MHS Online Shop

Manitoba History No. 89
Manitoba
History

No. 89

AGM 2019
MHS
Annual
General
Meeting

Spring Field Trip 2019
MHS
Spring
Field Trip

Summer Field Trip 2019
MHS
Summer
Field Trip

Fall Field Trip 2019
MHS
Fall
Field Trip

War Memorials in Manitoba
War
Memorials
in Manitoba

This Old Elevator
This Old
Elevator

Abandoned Manitoba
Abandoned
Manitoba

Memorable Manitobans
Memorable
Manitobans

Historic Sites of Manitoba
Historic Sites
of Manitoba

Historic Sites of Manitoba: Woodmore School No. 310 (Municipality of Emerson-Franklin)

The Woodmore School District was established formally in 1882 but the first school was apparently not built until 1885, on the southeast quarter of 25-2-4E, in what is now the Municipality of Emerson-Franklin, operating until 1927 when it was replaced. The second Woodmore School operated until 1965 when it closed and the district was dissolved. Remaining students went to Greenridge Consolidated School No. 1704 (a different school from Greenridge School No. 211). The former schoolhouse was moved to Vita where it was renovated into a garage.

A monument at the former Woodmore School site was erected in 1983 by the Woodmore Women’s Institute. Since then, two plaques have been affixed to it. In 1999, in recognition of the International Year of Older Persons, a small plaque by the Women’s Institute commemorated pioneers of the Woodmore area. In 2000, MLA Jack Penner and his wife Dora commissioned a small plaque in memory of the first land patent issued in the area, to James and Lottie Lockhart, for SW32-2-5E, in 1872.

Woodmore School

Woodmore School (no date) by A. A. Herriot
Source: Archives of Manitoba, School Inspectors Photographs,
GR8461, A0233, C131-1, page 20.

The former Woodmore School building

The former Woodmore School building (January 2019)
Source: George Penner

 

Woodmore School commemorative monument

Woodmore School commemorative monument (May 2011)
Source: Gordon Goldsborough

Site Location (lat/long): N49.14847, W96.92108
denoted by symbol on the map above

Sources:

One Hundred Years in the History of the Rural Schools of Manitoba: Their Formation, Reorganization and Dissolution (1871-1971) by Mary B. Perfect, MEd thesis, University of Manitoba, April 1978.

This page was prepared by Gordon Goldsborough and George Penner.

Page revised: 23 January 2019

Historic Sites of Manitoba

This is a collection of historic sites in Manitoba compiled by the Manitoba Historical Society.

Browse lists of:
Museums/Archives | Buildings | Monuments | Cemeteries | Locations | Other

Please note that inclusion in this collection does not mean that a particular site has special status or protection. Some sites are on private property and permission must be secured from the owner prior to visiting.

Site information is provided by the Manitoba Historical Society as a free public service only for non-commercial purposes.


Search Tips | Suggest a Site | FAQ | Acknowledgements

Send inquiries to the MHS Webmaster.

Back to top of page

   


To report an error on the above page, please contact the MHS Webmaster.

Home  |  Terms & Conditions  |  FAQ  |  Contact Us  |  Privacy Policy  |  Donations Policy

© 1998-2019 Manitoba Historical Society. All rights reserved.