Historic Sites of Manitoba: West Hall School No. 550 (Municipality of Grassland)
The West Hall School District was established in August 1888. A one-room schoolhouse was built on an acre of land bought from the Weightman family, at NE4-5-22W in what is now the Municipality of Grassland. The school opened on 12 May 1889 with Ontario-born teacher Celia Calder in charge. A few years later, a second acre was purchased to expand the playground for the children. The school closed permanently in 1957, after which its catchment area was distributed between Elgin Consolidated School District and Hartney Consolidated School District in 1964. The former schoolhouse was sold at auction and a stone monument, erected in 1967, marks its former site.
Among the teachers of West Hall School were Celia Calder (1889), Miss Mustard, and Mrs. T. Lagloire (1958).
Our Heritage by Regent Women’s Institute, c1967, pages 3-4. [Manitoba Legislative Library, F5649.R44 Reg]
One Hundred Years in the History of the Rural Schools of Manitoba: Their Formation, Reorganization and Dissolution (1871-1971) by Mary B. Perfect, MEd thesis, University of Manitoba, April 1978.
A Century of Living: Hartney, 1882-1982 by Hartney and District Historical Committee, 1982. [Manitoba Legislative Library, F5649.H37 Cen]
This page was prepared by Gordon Goldsborough.
Page revised: 9 May 2020
Back to top of page