In 1908, this 150-foot long steel through truss bridge was built over the Souris River at Wawanesa, in what is now the Municipality of Oakland-Wawanesa, using Plan No. 727 designed by engineer Archibald McGillivray for the Algoma Steel Company of Winnipeg. Described in some sources as the “Black Bridge,” it was closed to all but pedestrian traffic at the time of a visit in early 2013.
Postcard view of steel through truss bridge #727 over the Souris River (no date) by Ernest Jerrett
Source: Gordon Goldsborough, 2014-0048
Steel through truss bridge #727 over the Souris River (May 2013)
Source: Gordon Goldsborough
Steel through truss bridge #727 over the Souris River (August 2020)
Source: George Penner
Steel through truss bridge #727 over the Souris River (May 2021)
Source: Rose Kuzina
Site Coordinates (lat/long): N49.59357, W99.68876
denoted by symbol on the map above
Memorable Manitobans: Archibald McGillivray (1874-1936)
Manitoba historic bridges inventory book (1920s), copy in possession of Gordon Goldsborough on loan from David Ennis.
Sipiweske: 100 Years of Wawanesa and District by Wawanesa and District History Book Committee, 1988.
Pioneering in Highway Bridges for the Province of Manitoba and the Engineering Profession by George Alois De Pauw, 1993, page 32.
We thank Rose Kuzina and George Penner for providing additional information used here.
This page was prepared by Gordon Goldsborough.
Page revised: 30 September 2021
Historic Sites of Manitoba
This is a collection of historic sites in Manitoba compiled by the Manitoba Historical Society. The information is offered for historical interest only.
SEARCH the collection
Browse lists of:
Museums/Archives | Buildings | Monuments | Cemeteries | Locations | Other
Inclusion in this collection does not confer special status or protection. Official heritage designation may only come from municipal, provincial, or federal governments. Some sites are on private property and permission to visit must be secured from the owner.
Site information is provided by the Manitoba Historical Society as a free public service only for non-commercial purposes.