Historic Sites of Manitoba: Waldron Court (544 Broadway, Winnipeg)
This three-storey brick and stone block at the southwest corner of Broadway at Colony Street in Winnipeg was designed by local architect Victor William Horwood and built in 1909 by owner John Archibald Moxam at a cost of $45,000. The 79 foot by 54 foot building contained thirteen residential apartments with one, two, or three bedrooms.
In the early 1970s, under the ownership of the neighbouring Great West Life Assurance Company, the building underwent a thorough renovation in which apartments received new kitchens and bathrooms, wall-to-wall carpet, baseboard electric heat with thermostats in each room, and a security system. In October 1980, following a change of plans by the company, the building was demolished and later replaced by a building occupied, for a time, by a branch of the Canadian Imperial Bank of Commerce.
City of Winnipeg Building Permit 1317/1909, City of Winnipeg Archives.
“Demolition of apartment supported,” Winnipeg Free Press, 15 July 1980, page 5.
“Tenants get brief respite,” Winnipeg Free Press, 17 July 1980, page 7.
“Fall cleanup,” Winnipeg Free Press, 8 October 1980, page 7.
Apartment House Architecture in Winnipeg to 1915 by David Spector, December 1980.
Preparation of this page was supported, in part, by the Gail Parvin Hammerquist Fund of the City of Winnipeg.
We thank John Morriss for providing additional information used here.
Page revised: 17 February 2022