The Union Bank of Canada moved its head office to Winnipeg in 1912, occupying several floors of its building at the southwest corner of Main Street and William Avenue. In 1921, it added a two-storey addition to the south, described by the bank as a “Savings Annex.” The building is a municipally-designated historic site.
Union Bank Annex (October 2013)
Source: George Penner
Site Coordinates (lat/long): N49.89884, W97.13925
denoted by symbol on the map above
Manitoba Business: Union Bank of Canada
Manitoba Business: Royal Bank of Canada
Historic Sites of Manitoba: Union Bank Building (504 Main Street, Winnipeg)
Historic Sites of Manitoba: Municipally Designated Historic Sites
Royal Tower Annex (500 Main Street), City of Winnipeg Historical Buildings Committee, June 1993.
Information for this page was provided by The City of Winnipeg’s Planning, Property and Development Department, which acknowledges the contribution of the Government of Manitoba through its Heritage Grants Program.
Page revised: 10 March 2020
Historic Sites of Manitoba
This is a collection of historic sites in Manitoba compiled by the Manitoba Historical Society. The information is offered for historical interest only.
Inclusion in this collection does not confer special status or protection. Official heritage designation may only come from municipal, provincial, or federal governments. Some sites are on private property and permission to visit must be secured from the owner.
Site information is provided by the Manitoba Historical Society as a free public service only for non-commercial purposes.
Send corrections and additions to this page
to the MHS Webmaster at email@example.com.
Help us keep history alive!