Historic Sites of Manitoba: Transcona Municipal Hall and Fire Hall (401 Pandora Avenue West, Winnipeg)
Built at Transcona in 1955 based on a design by the Winnipeg architectural firm of Kemarsky and Weinberg, this building was constructed at a cost of $55,000 to replace a previous facility on Victoria Avenue West. It opened in January 1956 and served as the operational base for municipal office staff, as well as the Police, Fire, and Public Works Departments, the Transcona Parks Board, and a courtroom. The building was demolished in late 2012 and the site now hosts multi-unit private residences.
“Supermart planned on site of Transcona municipal offices,” Winnipeg Free Press, 6 May 1955, page 3.
“Town of Transcona,” Winnipeg Free Press, 25 August 1955, page 44.
“Transcona notes,” Winnipeg Free Press, 3 September 1955, page 2.
“Transcona notes,” Winnipeg Free Press, 31 December 1955, page 18.
Henderson’s Winnipeg and Brandon Directories, Peel’s Prairie Provinces, University of Alberta Libraries.
Former Bank of Toronto Building (141 Regent Avenue), City of Winnipeg Historical Buildings and Resources Committee, 2005.
This page was prepared by Nathan Kramer.
Page revised: 16 January 2020