Historic Sites of Manitoba: Tolstoi School No. 1224 / Tolstoi School No. 2 (Tolstoi, Municipality of Emerson-Franklin)
In 1935, the Tolstoi School District, in what is now the Municipality of Emerson-Franklin, opened a second school at the southwest corner of SW11-2-5E. Grades one through eight were taught here (except in 1963-1963), with older students attending high school at the district’s other schoolhouse. The district became part of the Boundary School Division in 1967 and school operations here ended that year.
The teachers of Tolstoi School No. 2 were Claudia Wachna (1935-1937), Anne Margaret Kereluk (1937-1940), William John Dutka (1940-1942), Mary Dolinski (1942-1943), Helen Koltalo (1943-1944), Olga Salamandyk (1944-1945), Annie Rose Black (1945-1947), Mary Phyllis Friesen (1947-1948), Charles Joseph Salinos (1948-1949), Helen Menzie (1949-1950), Jenny Tataryn (1950-1951), Michael Yarmie (1951-1952), Jeanne Valerie Korotash (1952-1953), Olga Wiwchar (1953-1955), Henry Louis Dyck (1955-1956), Elsie Oroyschak (1956-1957), Nettie Z. Alexiuk (1957-1958), Orest W. Kosowan (1958-1961), Ethel K. Turner (1961), Emil George Russin (1961-1962), Gail Christine Okapiec (1962-1963, grades 1-4), Anne Reimer (1963-1964), Eva Wachna Bially (1964), Roger Douglas Milbrandt (1964-1965), Jerry Kuryk (1965-1966), and Lorraine M. Samborski (1966-1967).
One Hundred Years in the History of the Rural Schools of Manitoba: Their Formation, Reorganization and Dissolution (1871-1971) by Mary B. Perfect, MEd thesis, University of Manitoba, April 1978.
School division half-yearly attendance reports (E 0757), Archives of Manitoba.
School division and school district formation files (E 0027), Tolstoi School District No. 1224, GR1688 Archives of Manitoba.
Manitoba School Records Collection, Tolstoi School District No. 1224 Daily Registers, Archives of Manitoba.
This page was prepared by Nathan Kramer.
Page revised: 28 April 2019
Back to top of page