The Tiger Hills School District was established formally in June 1885 and a one-room schoolhouse operated at NE7-5-14W in the Rural Municipality of Argyle. The school closed in 1946 and its remaining students went to Baldur Consolidated School No. 667. The building was later used as a garage at NW7-5-14W but a monument commemorates it at the earlier site.
The former Tiger Hills School building (circa 1986)
Source: Historic Resources Branch, Public School Buildings Inventory, slide 76.
Tiger Hills School commemorative monument (October 2011)
Source: Gordon Goldsborough
Site Location (lat/long): N49.38086, W99.33763
denoted by symbol on the map above
Historic Sites of Manitoba: Baldur District Schools (RM of Argyle)
One Hundred Years in the History of the Rural Schools of Manitoba: Their Formation, Reorganization and Dissolution (1871-1971) by Mary B. Perfect, MEd thesis, University of Manitoba, April 1978.
A Study of Public School Buildings in Manitoba by David Butterfield, Historic Resources Branch, Manitoba Department of Culture, Heritage and Tourism, 1994, 230 pages.
This page was prepared by Gordon Goldsborough.
Page revised: 5 February 2019
Back to top of page
Historic Sites of Manitoba
This is a collection of historic sites in Manitoba compiled by the Manitoba Historical Society.
SEARCH the collection
Browse lists of:
Museums/Archives | Buildings | Monuments | Cemeteries | Locations | Other
Please note that inclusion in this collection does not mean that a particular site has special status or protection. Some sites are on private property and permission must be secured from the owner prior to visiting.
Site information is provided by the Manitoba Historical Society as a free public service only for non-commercial purposes.