This three-storey brick building on the Fort Garry Campus of the University of Manitoba was designed by architects A. A. Stoughton and Gilbert Parfitt, and built by the Claydon Brothers Construction Company betwen 1931 and 1932 to house teaching and research in the Arts. It was the first building on campus to depart from the red-brick Georgian architectural style that was prevalent in the 1930s. Stoughton and his students drew up the construction plans that were influenced by the Collegiate Gothic style, and used Manitoba limestone for its exterior with marble for the interior.
It was later renamed the Tier Building to commemorate professor William Tier.
Memorable Manitobans: Arthur Alexander Stoughton (1867-1955)
Memorable Manitobans: Gilbert C. Parfitt (1886-1966)
Manitoba Business: Claydon Brothers Construction Company / Claydon Construction Limited
Memorable Manitobans: Hubert A. Garnier (1903-1987)
Memorable Manitobans: William Tier (1869-1939)
Historic Sites of Manitoba: Manitoba Agricultural College / University of Manitoba (Fort Garry Campus, Winnipeg)
“Claydon Co. receive contract for Arts Building,” The Manitoban, 7 October 1930, page 1.
We thank Rose Kuzina and George Penner for providing additional information used here.
This page was prepared by Gordon Goldsborough.
Page revised: 22 January 2023
Historic Sites of Manitoba
This is a collection of historic sites in Manitoba compiled by the Manitoba Historical Society. The information is offered for historical interest only.
SEARCH the collection
Browse lists of:
Museums/Archives | Buildings | Monuments | Cemeteries | Locations | Other
Inclusion in this collection does not confer special status or protection. Official heritage designation may only come from municipal, provincial, or federal governments. Some sites are on private property and permission to visit must be secured from the owner.
Site information is provided by the Manitoba Historical Society as a free public service only for non-commercial purposes.