A monument at a public campground near Minitonas, in the Municipality of Minitonas-Bowsman, was erected in 1967 to commemorate a pioneer “tent town” that existed near here between 1898 and 1899. Some residents included Douglas Durkin, Peter McKay, and Hugh Harley. A second monument to the south is believed to be nearer the actual town site.
View of the Minitonas Tent Town (circa 1899)
Source: Swan Valley Historical Society
Map of the Minitonas Tent Town, drawn by Ethel Harley, daughter of Hugh Harley (1898-1899)
Source: Lasting Impressions: Historical Sketches of the Swan River Valley, Swan Valley Historical Society, 1984, page 70.
Tent Town Monument (July 2012)
Source: Gordon Goldsborough
Site Coordinates (lat/long): N52.08514, W101.07226
denoted by symbol on the map above
Historic Sites of Manitoba: Tent Town Monument (Municipality of Minitonas-Bowsman)
Lasting Impressions: Historical Sketches of the Swan River Valley, Swan Valley Historical Society, 1984.
We thank Nonni Jonsson for providing additional information used here.
This page was prepared by Gordon Goldsborough.
Page revised: 25 October 2020
Historic Sites of Manitoba
This is a collection of historic sites in Manitoba compiled by the Manitoba Historical Society. The information is offered for historical interest only.
SEARCH the collection
Browse lists of:
Museums/Archives | Buildings | Monuments | Cemeteries | Locations | Other
Inclusion in this collection does not confer special status or protection. Official heritage designation may only come from municipal, provincial, or federal governments. Some sites are on private property and permission to visit must be secured from the owner.
Site information is provided by the Manitoba Historical Society as a free public service only for non-commercial purposes.