Incorporated as a school district in March 1876, the building was built in 1877 on NW18-13-1 east of the Principal Meridian in the Rural Municipality of Rockwood, Tecumseh School was moved to this site eight years later. To accommodate the growing settlement, a larger school was erected in 1888. It remained a centre of learning and community life until March 1965 when the school closed, and the district was formally dissolved in 1967. A monument was dedicated in June 1977 on the site of the former school. As of the early 1990s, the school building was being used for storage at NE28-12-1E.
Tecumseh School (no date) by H. D. Cumming
Source: Archives of Manitoba, School Inspectors Photographs,
GR8461, A0233, C131-1, page 13.
The former Tecumseh School building (circa 1990)
Source: Historic Resources Branch, Public School Buildings Inventory, slide 1189.
Tecumseh School monument (2010)
Source: Gordon Goldsborough
Site Location (lat/long): N50.09323, W97.34440
denoted by symbol on the map above
Tecumseh School District No. 34, 1877-1977 by Anne M. Henderson
Manitoba Pageant, Summer 1978, Volume 23, Number 4
One Hundred Years in the History of the Rural Schools of Manitoba: Their Formation, Reorganization and Dissolution (1871-1971) by Mary B. Perfect, MEd thesis, University of Manitoba, April 1978.
100 Years of History: Rockwood Municipality by Rockwood Municipality History, 1982.
A Study of Public School Buildings in Manitoba by David Butterfield, Historic Resources Branch, Manitoba Department of Culture, Heritage and Tourism, 1994, 230 pages.
This page was prepared by Gordon Goldsborough.
Page revised: 12 August 2015
Historic Sites of Manitoba
This is a collection of historic sites in Manitoba compiled by the Manitoba Historical Society.
SEARCH the collection
Browse lists of:
Museums/Archives | Buildings | Monuments | Cemeteries | Locations | Other
Please note that inclusion in this collection does not mean that a particular site has special status or protection. Some sites are on private property and permission must be secured from the owner prior to visiting.
Site information is provided by the Manitoba Historical Society as a free public service only for non-commercial purposes.