The Sylvan School District was established formally in May 1906 and a one-room, wood frame schoolhouse operated in the southeast quarter of 36-5-8 west of the Principal Meridian, in the Rural Municipality of Lorne. The district was dissolved in 1959 and henceforth the students in the area went to the Altamont Consolidated School No. 115. The school building is no longer present at the site, having been moved to Altamont as an additional classroom there, but a metal sign commemorates it.
Sylvan School (no date) by G. H. Robertson
Source: Archives of Manitoba, School Inspectors Photographs,
GR8461, A0233, C131-2, page 108.
Site of the former Sylvan School building (September 2012)
Source: Gordon Goldsborough
Sylvan School commemorative sign (October 2020)
Source: Art Peers
Site Coordinates (lat/long): N49.43590, W98.40878
denoted by symbol on the map above
One Hundred Years in the History of the Rural Schools of Manitoba: Their Formation, Reorganization and Dissolution (1871-1971) by Mary B. Perfect, MEd thesis, University of Manitoba, April 1978.
A Study of Public School Buildings in Manitoba by David Butterfield, Historic Resources Branch, Manitoba Department of Culture, Heritage and Tourism, 1994, 230 pages.
We thank Art Peers for providing additional information used here.
This page was prepared by Gordon Goldsborough.
Page revised: 15 October 2020
Historic Sites of Manitoba
This is a collection of historic sites in Manitoba compiled by the Manitoba Historical Society.
SEARCH the collection
Browse lists of:
Museums/Archives | Buildings | Monuments | Cemeteries | Locations | Other
Please note that inclusion in this collection does not mean that a particular site has special status or protection. Some sites are on private property and permission must be secured from the owner prior to visiting.
Site information is provided by the Manitoba Historical Society as a free public service only for non-commercial purposes.