Historic Sites of Manitoba: Searle Grain Elevator / Federal Grain Elevator / Manitoba Pool Grain Elevator D (Swan River)
A steel-reinforced concrete grain elevator in Swan River, the first such structure in western Canada, was constructed in 1961 by the Gertz Construction Company of Winnipeg for the Searle Grain Company, replacing an earlier wooden elevator. Standing 130 feet high, its 31 bins provided a total capacity of 100,000 bushels. It opened officially on 29 November 1961.
In 1966, following the merger of Searle with Federal Grain, the elevator was repainted as a Federal Grain elevator then, six years later, it was purchased by Manitoba Pool, becoming its fourth elevator at this point on the CNR Cowan Subdivision. It underwent major renovations between 1975 and 1976, and a 24-bin wooden crib annex built in 1950, formerly attached to the Pool A elevator, was moved beside it in 1982. The entire complex was demolished in July 2008.
Agents / Buyers
Photos & Maps
“Searle Grain Company Limited opens new elevator,” Swan Valley Star & Times, 7 Dec 1961, page 7.
“Past times,” Swan Valley Star & Times, 6 December 2011, page 14.
We thank Hannah Kern and Jean Alexander for providing additional information used here.
Page revised: 7 January 2019
Back to top of page