Historic Sites of Manitoba: Sundown School No. 1820 / Sundown South School (RM of Stuartburn)
This site in the Rural Municipality of Stuartburn was occupied by the second school established by the Sundown School District, with the original Sundown School / Sundown Village School located to the north. After the original school relocated to Sundown, residents from the southern portion of the district petitioned in 1946 for closer educational arrangements. In 1949, a second schoolhouse was established at the southwest corner of NW 30-1-30E, operating there until the summer of 1965. No vestige remains at the site today.
Among the teachers of Sundown South School were Leo Garten Fisher (1949-1950), Anne Mary Dykun (1950-1951), Elizabeth L. Strimbeski (1951-1952), Jennie Werestiuk? (1952-1953), Paul Kereliuk (1953-1954), Nettie Cecilia Bereziuk (1954-1955), John Chobotar (1955-1956), Elsie Gushuliak (1956-1958), Joyce Kostynyk (1958-1959), James Victor Koshelanyk (1959-1961), Metro “Matt” Drewniak (1961-1964), and Paul Russell Monastyrski (1964-1965).
School division half-yearly attendance reports (E 0757), Archives of Manitoba.
Schools in Manitoba - Volume 2, Sundown School - File 176, Local Government Boundaries Commission, March 1968, Archives of Manitoba.
Trustee records regarding geographically remote schools directly administered by Department (E 0166), File 1280 - Sundown School District - Permanent, GR1206, Archives of Manitoba.
School division and school district formation files (E 0027), Sundown School District No. 1820, GR1688, Archives of Manitoba.
Manitoba School Records Collection, Sundown School District No. 1820 Daily Registers (Sundown South School), GR2088, Archives of Manitoba.
One Hundred Years in the History of the Rural Schools of Manitoba: Their Formation, Reorganization and Dissolution (1871-1971) by Mary B. Perfect, MEd thesis, University of Manitoba, April 1978.
This page was prepared by Nathan Kramer.
Page revised: 10 September 2020