Manitoba Historical Society
     Keeping history alive for over 140 years

 

Pay & Donate in the MHS Online Shop

Endangered Top 10
Endangered
Top 10
2019

Young Historians 2019
Young
Historians
2019

Manitoba History No. 89
Manitoba
History

No. 89

War Memorials in Manitoba
War
Memorials
in Manitoba

This Old Elevator
This Old
Elevator

Abandoned Manitoba
Abandoned
Manitoba

Memorable Manitobans
Memorable
Manitobans

Historic Sites of Manitoba
Historic Sites
of Manitoba

Historic Sites of Manitoba: St. Vincent de Paul School No. 1567 (Ste. Amelie, Municipality of Ste. Rose)

The St. Vincent de Paul School District was established in April 1911 and, as of 1913, a one-room schoolhouse operated at SW16-23-14W in Ste. Amelie in what is now the Municipality of Ste. Rose. It was moved across from the Ste. Amelie Roman Catholic Church in 1942 and a second classroom was added to the north side of the building, to accommodate high school students. In 1961, it became the St. Vincent de Paul Consolidated School. By 1967, it had become part of the Turtle River School Division and the school closed three years later. The former school building was then used as a community centre.

The original St. Vincent de Paul School

The original St. Vincent de Paul School (no date)
Source: Archives of Manitoba, School Inspectors Photographs,
GR8461, A0233, C131-2, page 141.

The original St. Vincent de Paul School, moved to a new site and expanded with a second classroom in 1942

The original St. Vincent de Paul School, moved to a new site and expanded with a second classroom in 1942 (no date) by G. H. Marcou
Source: Archives of Manitoba, School Inspectors Photographs,
GR8461, A0233, C131-2, page 141.

The former St. Vincent de Paul School building

The former St. Vincent de Paul School building (circa 1990)
Source: Historic Resources Branch, Public School Buildings Inventory, slide 1223.

The former St. Vincent de Paul School building

The former St. Vincent de Paul School building (May 2012)
Source: Gordon Goldsborough

Site Location (lat/long): N50.98493, W99.38379
denoted by symbol on the map above

See also:

Historic Sites of Manitoba: Ste. Amelie School No. 1222 (Municipality of Ste. Rose)

Sources:

One Hundred Years in the History of the Rural Schools of Manitoba: Their Formation, Reorganization and Dissolution (1871-1971) by Mary B. Perfect, MEd thesis, University of Manitoba, April 1978.

A Study of Public School Buildings in Manitoba by David Butterfield, Historic Resources Branch, Manitoba Department of Culture, Heritage and Tourism, 1994, 230 pages.

We thank Rosemarie Péloquin for providing additional information used here.

This page was prepared by Gordon Goldsborough.

Page revised: 23 September 2018

Historic Sites of Manitoba

This is a collection of historic sites in Manitoba compiled by the Manitoba Historical Society.

Browse lists of:
Museums/Archives | Buildings | Monuments | Cemeteries | Locations | Other

Please note that inclusion in this collection does not mean that a particular site has special status or protection. Some sites are on private property and permission must be secured from the owner prior to visiting.

Site information is provided by the Manitoba Historical Society as a free public service only for non-commercial purposes.


Search Tips | Suggest a Site | FAQ | Acknowledgements

Send inquiries to the MHS Webmaster.

Back to top of page

   


To report an error on the above page, please contact the MHS Webmaster.

Home  |  Terms & Conditions  |  FAQ  |  Contact Us  |  Privacy Policy  |  Donations Policy

© 1998-2019 Manitoba Historical Society. All rights reserved.