The Stratford School District was organized formally in March 1894 and a school building was erected on the northwest quarter of 9-20-27 west of the Principal Meridian in the Rural Municipality of Silver Creek. The district was dissolved in 1967 and its catchment area became part of the Russell Consolidated School District. The building is no longer present at the site but a monument commemorates it.
Stratford School (no date) by G. W. Bartlett
Source: Archives of Manitoba, School Inspectors Photographs,
GR8461, A0233, C131-2, page 5.
The former Stratford School building (circa 1986)
Source: Historic Resources Branch, Public School Buildings Inventory, slide 1256.
Stratford School monument (June 2012)
Source: Gordon Goldsborough
Site Location (lat/long): N50.71219, W101.17308
denoted by symbol on the map above
Historic Sites of Manitoba: Silver Creek Centennial Cairn (Angusville, RM of Silver Creek)
One Hundred Years in the History of the Rural Schools of Manitoba: Their Formation, Reorganization and Dissolution (1871-1971) by Mary B. Perfect, MEd thesis, University of Manitoba, April 1978.
A Study of Public School Buildings in Manitoba by David Butterfield, Historic Resources Branch, Manitoba Department of Culture, Heritage and Tourism, 1994, 230 pages.
This page was prepared by Gordon Goldsborough.
Page revised: 14 August 2015
Historic Sites of Manitoba
This is a collection of historic sites in Manitoba compiled by the Manitoba Historical Society.
SEARCH the collection
Browse lists of:
Museums/Archives | Buildings | Monuments | Cemeteries | Locations | Other
Please note that inclusion in this collection does not mean that a particular site has special status or protection. Some sites are on private property and permission must be secured from the owner prior to visiting.
Site information is provided by the Manitoba Historical Society as a free public service only for non-commercial purposes.