Historic Sites of Manitoba: St. Mark’s Anglican Church (First Street, Elkhorn, RM of Wallace-Woodworth)
This Anglican church, constructed in Elkhorn in 1887, has the curious feature of a burial stone belonging to William John Rodgers (1897-1918), a member of the Canadian Expeditionary Force during the First World War, in its front flower bed. Private Rodgers was killed on 9 July 1918. An annex to the original building was added to accommodate children from the Elkhorn Indian Residential School who attended services. A stained glass window, called the McClauslin window, is located on the back wall behind the altar.
For the names of First World War casualities from Manitoba who do not appear on any physical monument in the province, see the Manitoba Historical Society War Memorial. If you know of a name that is omitted from this list, please contact the MHS War Memorial Researcher Darryl Toews (email@example.com).
Soldiers of the First World War - Canadian Expeditionary Force, Library and Archives Canada.
Canadian Virtual War Memorial, Veterans Affairs Canada.
Financial support for research reported on this page was provided by the Manitoba Heritage Grants Program (2015-2016).
We thank Lorraine Scott for providing additional information used here.
Page revised: 2 February 2020
Back to top of page