Historic Sites of Manitoba: St. Louis School No. 964 (Municipality of Lorne)
The St. Louis School District was established in May 1898 and it operated two school buildings in what is now the Municipality of Lorne. The “A” school was situated in the village of Cardinal and the “B” school was on the southeast quarter of 12-6-9 west of the Principal Meridian. In 1933, the “A” became a separate district known as Cardinal School No. 2239 and the other school dropped the “B” designation.
St. Louis School operated until June 1960 when it was combined with Notre Dame de Lourdes Consolidated School No. 2390. The former school building was moved to Notre Dame de Lourdes to become the first divisional office of the Mountain School Division No. 28. A metal sign at the original site commemorates St. Louis School.
Among the teachers of St. Louis School was L. R. Labossiere.
Annual Reports of the Manitoba Department of Education, Manitoba Legislative Library.
One Hundred Years in the History of the Rural Schools of Manitoba: Their Formation, Reorganization and Dissolution (1871-1971) by Mary B. Perfect, MEd thesis, University of Manitoba, April 1978.
We thank Normand Boisvert for providing information used here.
This page was prepared by Gordon Goldsborough.
Page revised: 6 October 2019
Back to top of page