A monument in Cardinal in the Rural Municipality of Lorne commemorates Cardinal School, established in a two-storey, wooden building as part of the St. Louis School District. In August 1933, it became a separate district known as Cardinal School No. 2239. The school closed in 1965 and the district was dissolved in January 1966. Its remaining students went to Notre Dame du Lourdes Consolidated School No. 2390.
The St. Louis School “A” situated at N49.49327 W98.55684 in the village of Cardinal, originally part of the St. Louis School District, became Cardinal School No. 2239 in 1933 (no date) by G. H. Robertson
Source: Archives of Manitoba, School Inspectors Photographs,
GR8461, A0233, C131-2, page 31.
Cardinal School commemorative sign (2010)
Source: Gordon Goldsborough
Site Coordinates (lat/long): N49.49371, W98.55655
denoted by symbol on the map above
Historic Sites of Manitoba: St. Louis School No. 964 (Municipality of Lorne)
“Aerial view of Cardinal, 17 May 1944,” Charles J. Gingras collection #160, Archives of Manitoba.
One Hundred Years in the History of the Rural Schools of Manitoba: Their Formation, Reorganization and Dissolution (1871-1971) by Mary B. Perfect, MEd thesis, University of Manitoba, April 1978.
We thank Normand Boisvert for providing additional information used here.
This page was prepared by Gordon Goldsborough.
Page revised: 6 October 2019
Back to top of page
Historic Sites of Manitoba
This is a collection of historic sites in Manitoba compiled by the Manitoba Historical Society.
SEARCH the collection
Browse lists of:
Museums/Archives | Buildings | Monuments | Cemeteries | Locations | Other
Please note that inclusion in this collection does not mean that a particular site has special status or protection. Some sites are on private property and permission must be secured from the owner prior to visiting.
Site information is provided by the Manitoba Historical Society as a free public service only for non-commercial purposes.