Historic Sites of Manitoba: Calvary Evangelical Church / Bethesda Church / St. Josaphat the Martyr Ukrainian Catholic Church (590 Alverstone Street, Winnipeg)
This church on Alverstone Street in Winnipeg was designed by local architect Eldred Dodsworth Tuttle and built with a red brick and Tyndall-stone exterior. It opened in November 1914 as Calvary Evangelical Church. In September 1944, it became the interdenominational Bethesda Church. The structure was sold in early 1961, its exterior was replaced with stone, and the interior was modified according to Ukrainian Catholic rites. It opened officially as St. Josaphat the Martyr Ukrainian Catholic Church on 24 September 1961.
Photos & Coordinates
“New Calvary Church akin to Methodism,” Manitoba Free Press, 21 November 1914, page 21.
“Calvary Evangelical Church holds its annual meeting,” Manitoba Free Press, 10 May 1923, page 5.
“House for Bethesda Church,” Winnipeg Free Press, 30 September 1944, page 9.
Ukrainian Catholic Churches of Winnipeg Archeparchy by Anna Maria Kowcz-Baran, Saskatoon, Saskatchewan, 1991.
Saint Josaphat Ukrainian Catholic Church (Calvary Evangelical Church), 590 Alverstone Street by Murray Peterson, Peterson Projects, December 2009.
This page was prepared by George Penner and Gordon Goldsborough.
Page revised: 28 February 2023