Historic Sites of Manitoba: Stirling School No. 1208 (Municipality of Roblin)
The Stirling School District was organized in January 1903 and a one-classroom wood frame school building operated on the northwest corner of SW14-25-29W in what is now the Municipality of Roblin. It closed in 1913 when it consolidated with Fife School No. 1319 and Brook’s Grove School No. 544 to form Tummel Consolidated School No. 1319. The school building was moved to Tummel where it was used until 1930, when a new, larger schoolhouse was constructed there.
The teachers of Stirling School were Miss Lizzie M. Linklater (1903 - Fall 1906), Margaret Norma McGougan (Spring 1907 - Fall 1908 & Fall 1909 - Spring 1910), Mary C. Connolly (Spring 1909), Frank W. Shaw? (pt Fall 1910), Miss Ada Neville (pt Fall 1910 - Spring 1911), Thomas M. Beattie (pt Fall 1911), Miss A. W. Arnott (pt Fall 1911), Miss Margaret Kines (Spring-Fall 1912), and Miss Doris M. St. Ruth (Spring 1913).
One Hundred Years in the History of the Rural Schools of Manitoba: Their Formation, Reorganization and Dissolution (1871-1971) by Mary B. Perfect, MEd thesis, University of Manitoba, April 1978.
Tummel’s History by Tummel 2013 Reunion Committee, 2013.
Summative half-yearly returns for school districts (A 0051), GR0571, Archives of Manitoba.
School division and school district formation files (E 0027), Stirling School District No. 1208, GR1688, Archives of Manitoba.
We thank Violet Joss and Nathan Kramer for providing information used here.
This page was prepared by Gordon Goldsborough.
Page revised: 24 June 2023