Historic Sites of Manitoba: Ste. Elizabeth School No. 1072 (Ste. Elizabeth, RM of DeSalaberry)
The Ste. Elizabeth School District was established in March 1900 and a one-room schoolhouse operated at SW31-4-3E in the Rural Municipality of DeSalaberry. It became the Ste. Elizabeth Consolidated School No. 2396 in 1961 when it was consolidated with Levis School No. 1005 and St. Martin School No. 1075. The district was dissolved in 1966 and its area was apportioned between the St. Pierre Consolidated School District No. 2395 and the St. Jean Baptiste Consolidated School District No. 2392. No vestige of the former school building remains at the site.
Among the teachers of Ste. Elizabeth School were W. E. Saunders, Miss Martel, Margaret Toews, George Herbert, and Miss Ramsey.
Morris East topographic map, 62H/6 East, Edition 2 ASE, 1958, Series A743 [UFS Reference Collection].
One Hundred Years in the History of the Rural Schools of Manitoba: Their Formation, Reorganization and Dissolution (1871-1971) by Mary B. Perfect, MEd thesis, University of Manitoba, April 1978.
We thank Marie Dueck for providing additional information used here.
This page was prepared by Gordon Goldsborough.
Page revised: 5 October 2018
Back to top of page